Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Will you look at that?

This month for the IWSG, I'm taking a break from worrying and doing a little celebrating! I hope the good vibes from this post will follow you around and holly jolly you out of any funk you might be stuck in!! Get some cheer, cheery, cheer over here!

First, the Insecure Writer's Support Group has published a collection of sage publishing advice! And I'm so excited to be a part of it! And it's FREE right now!

Tapping into the expertise of over a hundred talented authors from around the globe, The IWSG Guide to Publishing and Beyond contains something for every writer. Whether you are starting out and need tips on the craft of writing, looking for encouragement as an already established author, taking the plunge into self-publishing, or seeking innovative ways to market and promote your work, this guide is a useful tool. Compiled into three key areas of writing, publishing, and marketing, this valuable resource offers inspirational articles, helpful anecdotes, and excellent advice on dos and don'ts that we all wish we knew when we first started out on this writing journey.


Plus, I know some of you have been looking for a good critique partner - well, you're not alone. Check this out - it's another awesome something I've been wanting to share from the super supportive IWSG organization...


Next...
I'm very excited to be close to handing over SIMULATION to my editor! And to give you all a taste of it, Chrys Fey tagged me in the 777 challenge - perfect timing!
In your current WIP, go to the 7th page, 7 lines down, and share 7 lines or so... Here I give you Colonel Crews Hamilton, the conniving, old villain from SIMULATION:

     Crews wanted an electrogun to zap the boy's head off.
     "Pull over."
     "But Crews…."
     "Pull. Over." The Colonel's glare, the original intimidator, beat Jonas' ten to one and took no arguments.
     "Are you sure? We're still downtown."
     The Colonel responded in a low, guttural voice, growling from his clenched teeth like a mean, junkyard dog. "I know where we are and I know where I'm going. Pull over the confounded car, right now."
     The fear that jumped into the young man's eyes comforted Crews. Jonas had crossed the wrong old man.


And lastly,
I took advantage of the lovely Elizabeth Arundel's offer to post about my newest release, BROKEN BRANCH FALLS, over at Unicorn Bell - another wonderful site for writing advice and encouragement and contests and more! If you've never stopped by, I suggest you do so!

Hope everyone is getting ready for the holidays! And staying warm!

My advice this month: Smile through it!

29 comments:

Unknown said...

I shall try, But always difficult with an invalid husband. And now that Google removed all my photos from my blog when they took over Picasa, I had them stored there, I have had to begin my blog again. But there's a new year ahead ☺️

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks for contributing to the book!
Crews sounds ruthless all right.

Madeline Mora-Summonte said...

Happy IWSG Day! No insecurities here! Congrats on all the good stuff going on. :)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Tara - the IWSG guide is a great addition to all author's armour ..

Smile through December .. good idea!! Cheers Hilary

cleemckenzie said...

See you in the anthology, Tara! And congrats on finishing up on your project.

Stephanie Faris said...

Congratulations on having so much going on. Does the IWSG book have advice for people who want to self-publish? I am asked questions ALL THE TIME about how to go about getting a manuscript formatted and such and I'd love to just point them to this book!

Loni Townsend said...

Thanks for sharing the holiday cheer! Usually cold weather gets me down, but I'm motivated to stay positive this season. *releases worries into the wild*

Have a fantastic season!

Sarah Ahiers said...

Ooh. I don't know what's going on in your WIP but that sounds super exciting!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

With the book coming out, I skipped insecurities this week.

Chrys Fey said...

An electrogun? Oh jeez! Crews sounds like a man you don't want to mess this. That was a fun and exciting excerpt, Tara! I'm so happy that you participated in the challenge. :)

Emily R. King said...

Thanks for introducing me to Unicorn Bell!

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Thanks for the tag. Interesting bit you shared. I could use an electrogun some days.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

I love the Colonel, he's scary devious. IWSG Critique has a new member, me! Have a great day Tara.

Liz A. said...

Just trying to stay dry at the moment...

Happy December. And glad to have you over at Unicorn Bell.

Sarah Foster said...

The Critique Circle sounds wonderful! I may want to get some more editing done before I throw my work out there, but I'm definitely keeping that in mind.

F. Stone said...

Thanks for sharing. Blessings.

Carrie-Anne said...

Good luck with your new book! I joined the Critique Circle, though I haven't found any historical writers in it so far.

Juneta key said...

I always enjoy your post. You do have a lot going on. Wishing You the Best,
Juneta

Kimberly said...

I got the guide today! Great 777 excerpt! I just requested to join the critique circle - sounds awesome.

Unknown said...

Congrats on handing Simulation to your editor! The excerpt was great!

Rena said...

Congratulations on being ready to hand over your sequel to the editor! That's great news, and it looks like a great novel. Good luck!

Also, you give excellent advice!

dolorah said...

You certainly made me smile tonight Tara. thanks.

LD Masterson said...

It always feels good when you can take a break from worrying and celebrate. Keep smiling.

Sherry Ellis said...

Great excerpt! Hope your editor likes it.

A Beer for the Shower said...

Congrats on handing over Simulation! That was a great excerpt... remind me never to cross Colonel Crews.

Nick Wilford said...

Thanks! I could use some good vibes. Excerpt was great.

Christine Rains said...

I'm smiling. Smiling. Smiling. Can I have some cookies now? ;)

DMS said...

Great advice! I have found that smiling can get us through a lot. :) So excited for the ISWG Anthology. Congrats!
~Jess

Anonymous said...

I joined the critique circle.

Thank you for tagging me. It's a fun tag.

Popular Posts